Stephen and Harriet Myers
The Stephen and Harriet Myers Residence was a headquarters for Underground Railroad activity in the Capital Region in the mid 1850’s, as documented by a Vigilance Committee flier that has survived from that period along with other historic records.
Underground Railroad Education Center purchased it in 2004.
The building, privately owned from when it was built in 1847, had suffered from serious neglect. Since its purchase, scores of volunteers have helped bring the house back to what it was in the 1850’s.
Today, this historic site is a place where the community can come to learn about and be transformed by the inspiring story of the Underground Railroad, the first integrated civil rights movement in the United States, and its relevance for us today.
The first phase of The Myers Residence restoration project went to bid in the fall of 2007. Work commenced in 2008. Exterior restoration was completed in the fall of 2015. The stairway to the rear entryway has been restored and a lift with brick walkway has been installed as of March 2020. The front entryway to the first floor and basement level, the last component of exterior restoration, still remains to be completed. Following will be an assessment of interior conditions and the designing of plans to restore the interior to its elegant 1850’s historic character.
Download: Historic Structure Report.
THERE IS MUCH WORK STILL TO BE DONE
Our goal is to restore The Myers Residence to the elegant state it was in when Stephen and Harriet Myers lived there, the Vigilance Committee met there, and freedom seekers sought refuge there. To date, more than $950,000 has been raised toward a project goal of $1,500,000. Your donation to Underground Railroad Education Center will help us bring The Myers Residence back to life.