- This event has passed.
Second Annual JuneTEENth Freedom Day Celebration and Open House!
June 18, 2022 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Be our guests at our free event, planned and presented by the teen participants in our Young Abolitionists Leadership Institute, for a day of food, community, and history at the Residence of local Underground Railroad Abolitionist activists Stephen and Harriet Myers, located at 194 Livingston Avenue!
What is Juneteenth?
On June 19, 1865, enslaved African-Americans in Galveston, Texas, were told they were free, nearly 2 1/2 years after the Emancipation Proclamation was issued on Jan. 1, 1863, by President Abraham Lincoln.
Gordon Granger, a Union general, arrived in Galveston, Texas about two months after the Confederate general Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox, Va.,to inform enslaved African-Americans of their freedom and that the Civil War had ended.
A century and a half later, people in cities and towns across the U.S. continue to celebrate the occasion.
Freedom is in the claiming. The elemental sermon embedded into the history and lore of Juneteenth has always been one of hope. The gifts of the holiday are the moments of connection, renewal and joy for a people who have had to endure so much, for so long. To me, Juneteenth matters because it says: Keep going, the future you want is coming. -Veronica Chambers
Join us for a day of remembrance, learning, sharing stories and good food as we celebrate freedom and everything that goes with it.
What’s happening at the event?
– Enjoy Free Food by Allie B’s Kitchen
– Take a tour and view historical presentations by teen program participants
– Relax in our beautiful gardens
– Shop at our Vendors featuring the work of Black artisans
– Enjoy face painting and poetry readings
– Enter to win our Raffle prizes!
– Ride the FREE CDTA Trolley to a STEAM Garden presentation of Central Avenue Business Improvement District
– Ride the FREE CDTA Trolley to the Ten Broeck Mansion Juneteenth programming
– Tour The Stephen and Harriet Myers Residence – a documented, award-winning Underground Railroad site
When: Saturday, June 18th, 2022 from 12 pm through 4 pm
Where: The Stephen and Harriet Myers Residence, 194 Livingston Ave, Albany, NY
Cost: Free (donations gratefully accepted)