- This event has passed.
Juneteenth – all around Albany
June 17 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Join in the festivities of Juneteenth on Saturday, June 17 at The Stephen and Harriet Myers Residence.
Excelsior University is partnering with UREC to bring you a memorable, enriching and educational Juneteenth experience. Mark your calendars and plan to attend!
Learn about the history of Juneteenth.
- the children’s space,
- inspiring conversation,
- delectable food prepared by Young Abolitionist Leadership Institute teens,
- visiting with the many tablers that will bring their organizations and activities to us – NAACP, Albany Institute of History and Art, Capital Area Urban League, NYS Museum, Albany Symphony, Black Dimensions in Art, Arbor Hill Development Corporation, Department of Environmental Conservation, Excelsior University, and more,
- tours of The Stephen and Harriet Myers Residence,
- the Drumming Circle,
- the Legacy Project presentations by our Young Abolitionist Leadership Institute teens,
- learning more about the Interpretive Center to be built by UREC.
The Capital District Transportation Authority is partnering with UREC, the African American Cultural Center of the Capital Region, NYS Museum, and Ten Broeck Mansion to offer trolley transportation among the four sites.
An afternoon of learning, entertainment, and celebration of emancipation!
More Juneteenth info for partnering sites is available at:
https://fb.me/e/2w4ngVjS0 — African American Cultural Center
https://tenbroeckmansion.org/ — Ten Broeck Mansion
https://www.nysm.nysed.gov/ — New York State Museum
Ten Broeck Mansion Juneteenth activities – Commemoration of Roseanna Vosburgh, Archaeology Day, Plants of Africa Hands-on Art & Garden Program, and Free Tours
NYS Museum Juneteenth activities – the NYS Museum has three exhibits and one virtual resource that support understanding NY history during the 19th century –
- “Black Capital: Harlem in the 1920’s” (https://www.nysm.nysed.gov/
- “Timbuctoo: Gerrit Smith’s Experiment” (https://www.nysm.nysed.gov/
- Black History Resources at the New York State Museum (https://www.nysm.nysed.gov/
- Beneath the City: An Archaeological Perspective of Albany (https://www.nysm.nysed.gov/
Facebook users – visit https://www.facebook.com/UndergroundRailroadEC/ to follow and share Juneteenth at The Res
Instagram users – visit https://www.instagram.com/undergroundrailroad_ec/ to follow and share Juneteenth at The Res
LinkedIn users – visit https://www.linkedin.com/company/15746716 to follow and share Juneteenth at The Res
Please feel free to copy and distribute this jpg